A few months ago I made a conscious decision to try eat a bit better. Now, a lot of the time I still find it hard to say no to things I really should but I keep telling myself baby steps. One of the things that I did stick to though was having homemade granola for my breakfast. I used to mainly eat Wheet-a-bix in the morning but I was always left hungry before lunch and that led to unnecessary snaking. And I’m not really a porridge girl, it takes way too long for my liking. I’ve always loved granola but the store bough ones are so ridiculously expensive and full of sugar and other additives. I didn’t realise how simple it is to make your own granola, but it might just be one of the easiest things ever. I searched the internet for a recipe and in the end I combined a few to make my own. I’ve made this countless times over the past few months and I always make sure that I have a batch on hand. I like to eat mine with some almond milk but it’s also delicious with yogurt or a smoothie. I usually get 5-7 days out of this amount.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time:15-20 Minutes
1 cup of Unsalted Mixed Nuts (I use these ones)
400g of Porridge Oats
50g of Sunflower Seeds
50g of Pumpkin Seeds
75g of Ground Almonds
75g of Honey
150g of Olive Oil
1. Pre-heat your oven to 200C and line a baking tray with baking paper (you can use tinfoil if you absolutely have to but I find that baking paper works far better as it doesn’t stick)
2. In a bowl mix the oats, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and ground almonds. Chop up the nuts and then throw them in too.
3. Mix the honey and oil together and then heat the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds.
4.Throw the mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until everything is covered then spread it evenly on to your tray.
5. Pop the tray in the oven and leave it to cook for 8 minutes, then remove and toss the granola around to make sure it all cooks evenly. Put the tray back in for a further 8-10 minutes but keep a good eye on it so it doesn’t burn.
6. Once the granola is a golden brown remove it from the oven and allow it to cool. Come back and shake the tray after 5 minutes if you want the granola loose but if you want it in clumps leave if for 15-20 minutes then break it up. Store in an airtight container.